Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Great tunes

I forgot to mention a significant highlight of the summer for us. Music! It has definitely been a season of good tunes. In May, Scott and I went to the Sasquatch Festival at the Gorge (outdoor amphitheater) and spent 2 whole days listening to lots of great bands: the Maldives, The Flaming Lips, Death Cab, the Cure (one of my faves from back in the day), Rodrigo y Gabrielle, Built to Spill (Scott's fave) The White Rabbits, Scott really liked this band but I was bugged by their loudness that interfered with the Flight of the Concords. Jamie Lydell was super funky and made me want to boogie, so I did. And the Blue Scholars provided some intelligent hip-hop- yes there is such a thing! I really dug 'em. Yo.
When we were in NY this summer we spent some time in the lower east side and saw some really great shows that I cant remember the names of. BUT, they had LOT of instrumentation and I was surprised to find that I really enjoy the accordion and banjo and mandolin and piano and trumpet,if they're played in such a way that's not too oakie-ish.
In July, we heard Bill Malonee from the Vigilantes of Love. Good show, kinda slow, but in a small venue that can be kind of nice. He's really an amazing song writer and he's even a Christian. If you haven't heard him or VOL you should really look them up.
Lastly, I got to see Fleet Foxes and Wilco here in Spo-town. Can you believe it? A town that mostly gets bands like Lynard Skynard and Pantera actually brought out something for the rest of us "not butt-rocker" types. And yes we do exist in Spokane. Wilco was a super gig.

Here's something sweet for you all:

1 comments:

Summer said...

Speaking of the banjo...have you two heard of the Avett Brothers (punk, bluegrass, rock, classical, everything!) yet? They just signed with Columbia and are starting to be more well known. But Jeremy and I have been listening to them for about a year now. They're from North Carolina and the Carolina students I go to school with introduced me to them. They are AMAZING. They really sell themselves in their shows and Jeremy and I are official groupies. We've seen them in Newport, KY, Indianapolis, IN, Carbondale and Urbana, IL, we're heading to Louiseville next weekend and Bloomington, IN and Chicago in November. I told you, we're (shameless) groupies. But what else is there to do in Richmond?? Check them on Youtube. They're awesome. I've never been in to music quite like this before! And Jeremy bought a banjo and is taking lessons!

Hope all is well in Kolbo land, the Cushman's are well! Hope to see you over Christmas...